Work for us
Assistant Pension Scheme Accountant / Analyst
NHS AfC: Band 6
- NHS AfC: Band 6
- Full time - 37.5 hours per week
- Hesketh House
- £32,306 - £39,027 per annum
- Today at 23:59
Assistant Pension Scheme Accountant/Analyst
What is the Job?
If you are highly motivated, analytical, and are interested in a role that can make a difference, the NHS Business Services Authority (BSA) have the opportunity for you! We are looking for an Assistant Accountant/Analyst to join a specialist team that manages a wide range of financial accounting and financial assurance requirements of the Scheme. The role is a perfect step up into a rewarding career with the NHS and widening your knowledge and experience with Government and NHS finance.
If you are confident with using technology to design bespoke financial reports, working analytically, and challenging yourself then this is the role for you.
The role provides support for the team’s delivery of objectives, and your experience with large amounts of data and delivering process improvements will be key for this. You will be a self-starter who can ‘self-teach’ on new products, wants a challenge and is keen to learn all aspects of the vast scope of work the team does.
Main duties of the job
What will you do?
We are looking for people who are analytical and methodical in their approach to work and are AAT full or part qualified.
You will be able to demonstrate these essential skills and knowledge:
- Advanced IT application skills (MS Excel, Oracle and MS Access DB in particular)
- High levels of accuracy and concentration in all aspects of work
- Well-developed judgmental and analytical skills
- Ability to communicate at all levels
- Experience in a finance department
- Experience of integrated finance systems, financial reconciliation, and monitoring processes
- Analysis of large volumes of data
What do we offer?
- Work with a dedicated and specialist team on all aspects of Pension Scheme Finance
- Insight into wider Government and NHS finance
- Exposure to the accounting and financial assurance processes surrounding £30 billion in Scheme cash flows
- Permanent position with excellent opportunity for skills and knowledge development
- A wide range of employee benefits to suit everyone
Working for our organisation
At the NHS Business Services Authority (NHSBSA) we deliver a range of essential national services to NHS organisations and contractors, patients and the public.
You may already be using some of our services. Do you have a prescription pre-payment certificate? Perhaps you found this vacancy through NHS Jobs? We’re behind these, and much more.
Being one of the UK’s Best Big Companies to work for, our values are to be Collaborative, Adventurous, Reliable and Energetic. We CARE about what we do and support each other in achieving our objectives.
Our people are the heart of our organisation. We strive to ensure they feel trusted, valued and empowered. We’re passionate about nurturing and developing people. When you join us, we want you to grow, and we offer many opportunities for you to do that.
We welcome applications from people of all backgrounds. With wellbeing and inclusion central to our ethos, our BAME, Disability and Neurodiversity, LGBTQ+, Armed Forces and Women’s networks help our colleagues to be their authentic selves at work.
At the NHSBSA we value and respect the diversity of our colleagues and are committed to being a flexible employer. We are proud to offer flexible working opportunities. Whether you’re interested in hybrid working, working from home, flexible hours or job sharing, apply today and we can discuss available options with you at the interview stage.
We are the NHS delivering for the NHS.
Detailed job description and main responsibilities
The post holder will assist the Pensions Finance Manager and Accountants within a small specialist team managing a wide range of
financial and management accounting, budgeting and assurance duties relating to the NHS Pension and NHS Injury Benefit Schemes.
The post holder will provide key support in delivering the objectives of the team, and will require data analysis and interrogation skills,
have experience in the reconciliation of large amounts of data, and collation of financial information from a range of systems. The post
holder will also be required to undertake a range of business process improvements and process automation to meet the demands of the
everchanging landscape of the Schemes. There will also be some management responsibility for the financial support staff within the
The post holder will be required to deliver high quality customer service, communicating effectively with customers and
In this role, you are accountable for:
Pension Scheme Accounting
1. Assisting in the preparation of the draft financial statements for the inclusion in the annual Pension Accounts, contributing
to the overall planning strategy for the delivery of the draft accounts through to completion of the final audited account.
2. Maintaining working papers that support the Pension Accounts and provide sufficient supporting evidence to meet audit
3. Collection, collation, validation and analysis of all external data sources required to successfully complete the accounts.
4. Maintaining an archive of financial and statistical data for use in estimates and financial forecasting and modelling,
including but not limited to Scheme liability, income and expenditure, member statistics and financial assumptions.
5. Assist in the preparation of data for use in annual budget setting for the pension scheme and injury benefit scheme and
6. Assisting in the production of pension scheme related financial reports as required, including but not exclusively
NHSBSA, Dept of Health and Social Care (DHSC), Office of Budgetary Responsibility (OBR) and HM Treasury.
Pension Scheme Valuation and Reconciliation
7. Performing a range of quality assurance checks on the Scheme valuation data prior to submission to the Scheme Actuary.
8. Undertaking investigation on data queries raised by Pensions Service and GAD.
9. Liaising with Pensions Service and Employers to discuss member data to employer contribution cash variances and implementing the
necessary rectification actions where required.
10. Undertaking various detailed analytical, validation and management checks on the financial ledgers, and any reports or statistics
provided from Pensions Service systems. Escalate any issues to the Finance Manager/Accountants in the first instance. Areas may
include but not be limited to; cashbook, trial balance and control accounts, yearend transactions and ledger closure, reports and
statistics generated from the pensions processing system – Compendia.
Business Process Improvement
11. Acting as the lead on the development of new and enhanced reporting, reconciliation and financial assurance functionality, utilising
but not limited to Oracle Business Intelligence, Integra and Compendia.
12. Contributing to the design and creation of management and financial information processes, utilising specific Scheme, IT and
financial systems knowledge providing greater insight and capability across the wide range of objectives of the team.
Stakeholder and Customer liaison
13. Liaising with internal and external auditors as and when required. Develop positive working relationships to facilitate
effective and constructive audits.
14. Liaising with HM Treasury, Scheme Actuary, DHSC and NHS Employer organisations as and when required.
15. Working with a minimal amount of supervision, working autonomously to manage own work and make decisions in own work area
and for the support team.
16. Effectively communicating with internal and external customers resolving technical and escalated queries by telephone, e-mail and
correspondence. Customers being Pensions Service, NHS Employers and other external agencies and Departments.
17. Providing management cover for the financial support staff in their direct managers absence, ensuring that all deliverables are met
and that any issues that may arise are effectively resolved.
18. Maintaining an awareness of the NHS Pension Scheme and Injury Benefit Scheme and associated regulations, including forthcoming
events and changes.
19. Demonstrating a commitment to develop flexible matrix working such that the broad base of skills and experience of all staff are
utilised to maximum benefit for the individual, team and organisation.
20. Identifying personal training needs and working with the Finance Manager/Accountants to establish personal objectives, and for
those of direct reporting staff. Contributes to own appraisal.
21. Undertaking other such duties as may be required commensurate with grade, training and experience. Also on occasion participating
in organisation wide work groups appropriate to the post holders expertise and experience.
22. Assisting in the analysis, monitoring and review of the control systems in place to ensure operational duties are being
performed in accordance with the team timetable and activity plans.
23. Acting as an authorised signatory for a range of payment processes administered by the Financial Services Team.
24. Acting as a key contact for pension scheme financial issues.
25. Undertaking ad hoc projects and reviews as and when required by the Finance Manager and senior finance colleagues.
26. Supporting the testing of software upgrades and systems changes pertaining to the direct use and requirements of the
pensions finance team, in close liaison with the Finance Systems Team.
personal qualities, knowledge & skills
- advanced IT skills
- knowledge of financial and accountancy policy and procedures
- highly motivate, concentration & accuracy
- judgemental and analytical skills
- develop and deliver complex financial models and presentations
- ability to communicate at all levels / build good working relationships
- knowledge of government accounting and funding
- knowledge of pension scheme accounting
- preparation of statutory accounts
- knowledge of HMRC requirements
- knowledge of crystal reporting and Integra
- knowledge of SQL reporting and OBI
- significant experience in a finance department
- experience of integrated finance systems, financial reconciliation and monitoring processes
- analysis of large volumes of data and designing bespoke solution to meet requirements
- relevant NHS/Public Sector experience
- production of board level reports
- project management experience
- business planning experience
- AAT full/part - demonstrate CPD
Documents to download
Further details / informal visits contact
- John Douglas
- Job title
- NHS Pension Scheme Finance Manager
- Email address
- Additional information
To discuss the role in more detail a Teams call can be arranged