Work for us
SIAM IT Service Manager
NHS AfC: Band 7
- Service Manangement
- NHS AfC: Band 7
- Fixed term: 12 months
- Full time - 37.5 hours per week
- Stella House
- Fleetwood and Newcastle upon Tyne
- £40,057 - £45,839 per annum
- 12/06/2022 23:59
Looking for an opportunity to play an integral role in the support of IT services to the NHSBSA and our customers? We have a 12-month fixed-term opportunity for an experienced IT Service Manager to support the delivery of robust and resilient service management.
If you are an experienced IT Service Manager with a broad range of service management skills and you are interested in enabling a holistic approach to service management delivery in accordance with ITIL V4 practices then this is the role for you!
The Technology SIAM team supports the wider DDaT team, modernising and transforming the NHSBSA business as it delivers business solutions using agile methods, putting the user at the heart of everything we do. As part of this team, you will be involved in setting the policy and ensuring process adherence and governance in relation to the service management practices
You will be based in either Newcastle or Fleetwood, with occasional travel between the two locations.
What do we offer?
· 27 days leave (increasing with length of service) plus 8 bank holidays
· Flexible working (we are happy to discuss options such as compressed hours)
· Flexi time
· Hybrid working model (we are currently working largely remotely)
· Career development
· Active wellbeing and inclusion networks
· Excellent pension
· NHS Car lease scheme
· Access to a wide range of benefits and high street discounts
Main duties of the job
What we want from you:
- Managing the Technology SIAM engagement for one or more of NHSBSA’s customer groups / Directorates
- Supporting the Head of Technology SIAM to facilitate a more holistic approach to service management delivery in accordance with ITIL V4 practices, within the service value chain
- Setting the organisation's policy and ensuring process adherence for service management and governance
- Working under direction and within a clear framework of accountability, you will exercise some personal responsibility and autonomy to plan the teams’ workloads to meet objectives and delivery timeframes
- Participating in both internal and external activities in line with your specialism to keep your skills up to date.
- With a clear ability to rationalise complex technical information, you will transform this information, making it understandable for others to digest and work with
- Engaging with stakeholders, you will facilitate and foster collaborative approaches, prioritise requirements and optimise resource utilisation
- Demonstrating a creative and innovative approach and advising on standards, methods, tools and applications, so that the optimum approaches, standards and solutions are delivered to meet organisational objectives
Working for our organisation
At the NHS Business Services Authority we deliver a range of essential national services to NHS organisations and contractors, patients and the public.
You may already be using some of our services. Do you have a prescription pre-payment certificate? Perhaps you found this vacancy through NHS Jobs? We’re behind these, and much more.
Being one of the UK’s Best Big Companies to work for, our values are to be Collaborative, Adventurous, Reliable and Energetic. We CARE about what we do and support each other in achieving our objectives.
Our people are the heart of our organisation. We strive to ensure they feel trusted, valued and empowered. We’re passionate about nurturing and developing people. When you join us, we want you to grow, and we offer many opportunities for you to do that.
We welcome applications from people of all backgrounds. With wellbeing and inclusion central to our ethos, our BAME, Disability and Neurodiversity, LGBTQ+, Armed Forces and Women’s networks help our colleagues to be their authentic selves at work.
At the NHSBSA we value and respect the diversity of our colleagues and are committed to being a flexible employer. We are proud to offer flexible working opportunities. Whether you’re interested in hybrid working, working from home, flexible hours or job sharing, apply today and we can discuss available options with you at the interview stage.
We are the NHS delivering for the NHS.
Visit www.nhsbsa.nhs.uk/work-with-us and start your career with us
Detailed job description and main responsibilities
As an IT Service Manger working in the Technology SIAM Team, you will demonstrate a range of Service Management skills, managing
and supporting the Head of Technology SIAM to facilitate a more holistic approach to service management delivery in accordance with
ITIL V4 practices, within the service value chain; setting the organisation's policy and ensuring process adherence for service
management and governance.
Working under direction and within a clear framework of accountability, you will exercise some personal responsibility and autonomy to
plan the teams’ workloads in order to meet objectives and delivery timeframes.
Demonstrating excellent communication skills, you will be expected to participate in both internal and external activities in line with your
specialism to keep your skills up to date. With a clear ability to rationalise complex technical information, you will transform this
information, making it understandable for others to digest and work with.
Engaging with stakeholders, you will facilitate and foster collaborative approaches, prioritise requirements and optimise resource
utilisation, demonstrating a creative and innovative approach and advising on a number of standards, methods, tools and applications,
so that the optimum approaches, standards and solutions are delivered to meet organisational objectives.
In this role, you are accountable for:
1. Oversee the continuous development, transition and day to day operation of associated ITIL service management processes and
governance frameworks, engaging with business colleagues, internal/external suppliers and key stakeholders as necessary.
2. Guide the service desk function through the ITSM Operating Model and IT Service Lifecycle in line with ITIL v4, re-shaping
service desk practices in the context of customer and user experience, working with internal and external stakeholders to provide
a strong value focused direction.
3. Lead the adherence to Service Management policies, processes and procedures, ensuring they are in place for the service desk
function and are followed by all Service Providers with non-conformance reported and reviewed;
4. Oversee the implementation of standards and policies, pro-actively identifying and proposing improvements or enhancements to
meet changing needs.
5. Ensure that relevant Service Management policies, processes and procedures are in place for each function and are followed by
all Service Providers with non-conformance reported and reviewed;
6. Proactively engaging in conversations to support the on-going development and maintenance of your own skills and knowledge,
including attending relevant Communities of Practice.
7. Working under general direction; planning your own work to achieve agreed objectives, seeking information when unclear, and
escalating as appropriate, any issues or conflicting priorities which may impact deadlines.
8. Actively participating and contributing to quality assurance reviews of your work through a variety of approaches such as peer
review, learning logs, and engaging in appropriate communities.
9. Keeping abreast of new and emerging methodologies and standards to support innovative and creative delivery of business
Other areas of responsibility are explained in detail in the Job Description and Person Specification attached to this advert
- • Degree calibre with relevant in-depth knowledge of the subject matter • ITIL v4 Foundation (or prepared to work towards)
- • Post Graduate qualification or equivalent • Relevant Professional Qualifications i.e. BCS
- • Certification in Agile Service Management
- Significant knowledge and skills in the following area: • ITIL based service management • Experience of working within and across ITiL v3 framework and service value chain, including but not limited to:- o Incident Management (including Major Incident Management) o Problem Management o Knowledge Management o Service Request Management o Service Level Management o Change Management o Data, Asset & Configuration Management o Continual Service Improvement (CSI).
- Significant knowledge and skills in the following area: • Leading and managing staff to deliver organisational goals and objectives. • Managing contracted suppliers against a KPI and service management/improvement framework. Managing Service Reviews and approval of supplier delivered reports.
- Significant knowledge and skills in the following area: • Delivery of internal Service Management Reports. • Multi-tasking, working across multiple projects, analysing opportunities, defining successful approaches, and proactively solve problems.
- Experience of • On-going Continuous Professional Development. • Engaging and building relationships with a range of internal stakeholders and suppliers, working collaboratively, to support delivery of business outcomes.
- • Exposure to ISO27000 • ITIL based service management • Experience of all Technology management disciplines
- • Experience of working with customers and specialist teams to interpret requirements and provision resources to facilitate customer outcomes • Working with technology experts to understand technical concepts and apply them to enable value for customers
skills and knowledge
- • Knowledge of implementing or working under the ITIL V3 framework in particular as part of the Service Operation stage of the lifecycle. • Significant knowledge gained from working in a similar level role in an NHS or associated public sector environment
- • A general and broad knowledge of current issues and advances across all service management disciplines • Experience with implementing, developing and supporting the improvement of Service Management toolsets. • Experience of service management delivery within a recognised ITSM operating model
- • Experience of using project implementation methodologies • Knowledge of the ITIL V4 framework • A detailed knowledge of SIAM principles, aims and their application.
- • Operating at SFIA level 5 across Complexity, Autonomy, Influence and Business Skills. • Operating at SFIA level 6 across specialist skill areas: o Strategy and Architecture/Information Management o Delivery and operation/Service Acceptance o Delivery and operation/Change Management o Skills and Quality/ Quality Management
- • Operating at SFIA level 6 across Complexity, Autonomy, Influence and Business Skills
Documents to download
Further details / informal visits contact
- Clare Jones
- Job title
- SIAM IT Service Manager
- Email address