Work for us
Automation Test Analyst
NHS AfC: Band 6
- Automation Test Analyst
- NHS AfC: Band 6
- Full time - 37.5 hours per week
- Stella House
- £32,306 - £39,027 per annum
- 25/05/2022 23:59
An exciting opportunity has opened up for an Automation Test Analyst to support the activities required in the BSA’s journey to become a multi-sourcing digital business. The Digital team is modernising and transforming the business in line with this journey and this includes the delivery of business solutions using Agile methodologies in a continuous delivery environment.
What do we offer?
- 27 days leave (increasing with length of service) plus 8 bank holidays.
- Flexible working (we are happy to discuss options such as compressed hours)
- Flexi time
- Hybrid working model (we are currently working largely remotely)
- Career Development
- Active Wellbeing and Inclusion Networks
- Excellent Pension
- NHS Car Lease Scheme
- Access to a wide range of benefits and high street discounts!
Main duties of the job
The successful candidate will be an active member of the QA and Test community. They will be required to provide quality assurance to the business that systems and services provided are fit for purpose.
The role requires engagement in testing processes and services to meet business driven change initiatives. Researching, maintaining and applying knowledge of test automation, delivering technical and business test specifications and improving procedures, systems and services required to meet them. Shares knowledge with other staff members to improve, develop and/or maintain testing skills utilising multiple approaches to meet the business needs.
Working for our organisation
At the NHS Business Services Authority (NHSBSA) we deliver a range of essential national services to NHS organisations and contractors, patients and the public.
You may already be using some of our services. Do you have a prescription pre-payment certificate? Perhaps you found this vacancy through NHS Jobs? We’re behind these, and much more.
Being one of the UK’s Best Big Companies to work for, our values are to be Collaborative, Adventurous, Reliable and Energetic. We CARE about what we do and support each other in achieving our objectives.
Our people are the heart of our organisation. We strive to ensure they feel trusted, valued and empowered. We’re passionate about nurturing and developing people. When you join us, we want you to grow, and we offer many opportunities for you to do that.
We welcome applications from people of all backgrounds. With wellbeing and inclusion central to our ethos, our BAME, Disability and Neurodiversity, LGBTQ+, Armed Forces and Women’s networks help our colleagues to be their authentic selves at work.
At the NHSBSA we value and respect the diversity of our colleagues and are committed to being a flexible employer. We are proud to offer flexible working opportunities. Whether you’re interested in hybrid working, working from home, flexible hours or job sharing, apply today and we can discuss available options with you at the interview stage.
We are the NHS delivering for the NHS.
Detailed job description and main responsibilities
In this role, you are accountable for:
1. Evaluating, analysing, and interpreting information and requirements to inform the design and development of scalable
automation testing frameworks.
2. Applying specialist knowledge, to define and create automated functional and regression tests using well structured-maintainable
3. Designing, developing and delivering project test plans and test specification based on a variety of documents that outline both
functional and non-functional requirements.
4. Assurance of testing cycles for externally delivered projects, validating and approving documentation, and outputs of testing,
escalating issues and risks appropriately.
5. Provide specialist QA and Automation Test advice and guidance, provide defect triage sessions with selected users, and third parties to resolve issues that affect bespoke services, third-party applications and configurable of the shelf products (CoTS) and services, to support swift resolution and delivery.
6. Proactively engaging in conversations to support the on-going development and maintenance of your own skills and knowledge,
including attending relevant Communities of Practice.
7. Communicating complex information effectively across a wide range of people and levels of understanding, including both technical and non-technical audiences, to influence, negotiate and secure value based outcomes and sign of ahead of delivery of services.
8. Regularly horizon scans to keep abreast of new and emerging technologies and standards to support innovative and creative
delivery of QA and Test.
9. Support relevant recruitment and selection in line with organisational processes.
10.Mentor and coach other team members, and apprentices to enable the on-going personal development and growth of skills within
11.Co-ordinate and allocate work to other team members in line with agreed delivery of services
12.Maintain an awareness of financial and personal implications in the use of a range of resources.
13.Contribute to and prepare proposals for estimating new and existing pieces of work.
14.Identifying opportunities and engaging in partnership working with other individuals, groups and agencies within the NHS, DoH
and other third parties.
15.Effectively engage and collaborate across multiple disciplines to ensure consistent approaches, methods, standards, and
patterns are holistically applied.
16.Contributing to, monitoring, maintaining and reporting on agreed testing metrics, reviewing own performance and adapt own
approach to maximise the success and to meet agreed standards.
17.Preparing plans to enable the delivery of QA and Test activities for projects and programmes undertaken.
18.Proactively identify challenges that may affect delivery, providing mitigating actions and a decisive response.
19.Creating and delivering tests to ensure the overall needs of the business are met.
- Degree within testing, software development or software engineering
- Testing qualification (ISQTB or ISEB)
- Formal training in any non functional testing (Accessibility, Performance, Compatibility)
- Agile training
- Work experience in a QA or Test environment (4+ Years)
- Work experience in Test Automation environment (2+ years)
- Practical implementation of automation testing
- Work experience of Performance Testing
- Work experience of Compatibility Testing
- Work experience of Accessibility Testing
- Work experience of API Testing
- Working in Agile scrum teams
- Participation in Agile Ceremonies (Standups, 3 Amigos, Sprint Planning, Retro, Show & Tells)
- Assessing and evaluating Acceptance Criteria
- Estimating test activities
- Writing and maintaining Test Documentation & reports
- Experience of working on test teams with permanent and contract testers
- Automation of any non functional testing (Accessibility, Performance, Compatibility)
- Being the Test Subject Matter Expert on a project or team
- Exposure or experience to GDS service standards
- Experience of using Selenium Java
- Experience of testing in a BDD methodology using Gherkin and Cucumber
- Experience of developing automation frameworks from scratch
- Software testing lifecycle
- Defect Management
- Experience of non functional testing tools and technologies (JMeter, BrowserStack, Wave/Lighthouse/Axe, Karate)
- Experience of using any other automation language
- Knowledge of advanced automation techniques (automatic driver download, canned steps)
- Knowledge and experience of working with open source test automation tools and technologies
- Adding and contributing with value to test best practices
Documents to download
Further details / informal visits contact
- Chris Lockie
- Job title
- Professional Lead for Test
- Email address