Work for us
Social Impact Manager - Volunteering and Fundraising
NHS AfC: Band 7
- People and Corporate Services
- NHS AfC: Band 7
- Full time
- Part time
- Job share
- Flexible working
- Compressed hours
- Stella House
- Newcastle Upon Tyne
- £43,742 - £50,056 per annum
- 07/06/2023 23:59
An exciting opportunity has arisen for a Social Impact Manager – Volunteering and Fundraising, within the Colleague Experience and Social Impact Team at NHS Business Services Authority.
Our reputation as a partner of choice to the NHS is possible because of the amazing individuals and teams making up our organisation. At the NHSBSA we know our people are our greatest asset therefore we place people at the heart of everything we do.
We are looking for someone who is passionate about delivering social impact through volunteering and fundraising programmes, making the most of opportunities to create social value, and to bring about meaningful change through these pathways. You’d bring skill, experience and knowledge to support this work across the organisation. You’ll understand the challenges of fundraising and volunteering within a hybrid workplace and take a creative, resourceful approach to this work, developing initiatives to achieve our aspirations in this area.
Please note there is a minimum requirement to travel to our Newcastle offices of once per month and some other travel may be needed as part of this role.
Main duties of the job
As the NHSBSA Social Impact Manager (Volunteering and Fundraising), you will work with the Wellbeing, Safeguarding and Wellbeing and Social Impact Lead Inclusion to set the strategic direction for the organisations new approach to volunteering, fundraising and social impact, ensuring alignment with the Diversity and Inclusion, Talent Acquisition, Talent Development, People and wider business strategies.
The post holder will design and manage all volunteering, fundraising programmes of work and develop and implement appropriate interventions. The post holder will work closely with the Social Impact Manager – Social Mobility, ensuring collaboration and alignment between the areas of focus. Both roles will work closely with the Environment Manager, Commercial Team and Project and Portfolio Directorate to ensure that social value is fully embedded throughout the NHSBSA business and policy change and procurement processes to ensure all opportunities for social impact are maximised. They will also work closely with the People Data Team on the approach to capturing and analysing volunteering and fundraising data and ensure this supports the demonstration of the organisation’s social impact.
The role will be based in the Colleague Experience and Social Impact Team within the People and Corporate Services directorate and will support the Wellbeing, Safeguarding and Social Impact Leads to develop a culture where social impact is further embedded in the organisation.
Working for our organisation
At the NHS Business Services Authority (NHSBSA) we deliver a range of essential national services to NHS organisations and contractors, patients and the public.
You may already be using some of our services. Do you have a prescription pre-payment certificate? Perhaps you found this vacancy through NHS Jobs? We’re behind these, and much more.
Being one of the UK’s Best Big Companies to work for, our values are to be Collaborative, Adventurous, Reliable and Energetic. We CARE about what we do and support each other in achieving our objectives.
Our people are the heart of our organisation. We strive to ensure they feel trusted, valued and empowered. We’re passionate about nurturing and developing people. When you join us, we want you to grow, and we offer many opportunities for you to do that.
We welcome applications from people of all backgrounds. With wellbeing and inclusion central to our ethos, our BAME, Disability and Neurodiversity, LGBTQ+, Armed Forces and Women’s networks help our colleagues to be their authentic selves at work.
At the NHSBSA we value and respect the diversity of our colleagues and are committed to being a flexible employer. We are proud to offer flexible working opportunities. Whether you’re interested in hybrid working, working from home, flexible hours or job sharing, apply today and we can discuss available options with you at the interview stage.
We are the NHS delivering for the NHS.
Detailed job description and main responsibilities
In this role, you are accountable for:
- Supporting the Wellbeing, Safeguarding and Social Impact Lead in the development and implementation of the NHSBSA social impact strategy in support of the wider Diversity and Inclusion, Talent Acquisition, Talent Development, People and wider business strategy and corporate objectives.
- Researching, developing and implementing volunteering, fundraising and social impact policies, procedures, guidance and systems, which are consistent with national initiatives and the NHSBSA’s strategic direction. Monitor, evaluate and review these for impact and effectiveness ensuring that they comply with relevant legislation, codes of practice and best practice.
- Ensuring compliance with all statutory and mandatory requirements around volunteering, fundraising c, advising on best practice within these fields, and ensuring that robust governance arrangements are in place to withstand scrutiny by relevant audit or inspection bodies.
- Working closely with the People Data Team and Digital directorate to design the organisation’s approach and data solution to measuring volunteering and fundraising and ensure this supports the demonstration of the organisation’s social impact.
- Identify and analyse social impact data to make recommendations and to support the development of the NHSBSA’s approach to social impact, taking an evidenced based approach.
- Working collaboratively with the wider organisation to identify, establish and maintaining excellent working relationships with external organisations, community groups and charities with the purpose of arranging volunteering events, fundraising opportunities and engagement events that enable NHSBSA colleagues to give something back to their local communities and charities and promotes the NHSBSA as an employer of choice.
- Working closely with the Learning and Organisation Development team to ensure the NHSBSA’s approaches to talent development maximises opportunities to increase skills sharing within local communities.
- Create strong links and work collaboratively with internal stakeholders such as the Talent Acquisition Team, Communications Team and Operational Leads to embed our approach to social impact across the wider organisation.
- Write high quality communications, presentations, reports guidance and other material with the aim of increasing engagement and awareness of social mobility and engaging senior leaders, Leadership Team and Heads of Service in this work.
- Establishing and managing engaging and innovative ways to support colleague engagement around fundraising, volunteering and community engagement.
- Evaluate and measure volunteering and fundraising impact achieved through the various programmes implemented, against the organisation’s aims.
- Provide specialist advice to internal stakeholders (Project Management Office, Commercial Department etc) on social value through the analysis/impact assessment process that reflects legal requirements and the NHSBSA values around social impact.
- Work closely with the Environment Manager, Commercial Team and Project and Portfolio Directorate to ensure that social value is fully embedded throughout the NHSBSA business and policy change and procurement processes to ensure all opportunities for social impact are maximised.
- Designing and lead programmes of campaigns and events, working collaboratively with the Communications and Marketing team to develop a range of communications which increases colleague engagement around volunteering and fundraising and raise the profile of the NHSBSA through external promotion with a wide range of stakeholders.
- Working with the Wellbeing, Safeguarding and Social Impact Lead to identify and create a range of indicators for volunteering and fundraising to support the Leadership Team and Board to understand progress and offer insight into the organisation’s development, providing a robust baseline for this work.
- Analysing and interpreting complex information produced by a wide range of organisations and making recommendations for action, as well as producing detailed and complex reports, and presenting these as necessary to a wide range of audiences.
- Providing specialist advice to the Leadership Team, Heads of Service, managers and colleagues on all volunteering and fundraising.
- Representing the NHSBSA in national and regional volunteering and fundraising groups and forums, developing and maintaining excellent working relationships with internal and external stakeholders.
- Deputising for the Wellbeing, Safeguarding and Social Impact Lead where necessary.
- Authorised signatory for volunteering, fundraising and social impact budgets. Has a thorough knowledge of, and adheres to at all times, the Authority's Standing Financial Instructions, Standing Orders and Purchasing procedures.
- Degree or equivalent qualification or significant equivalent experience
- Masters/ Postgraduate or equivalent qualification or significant equivalent experience
Personal qualities, knowledge and skills
- Working knowledge of social impact and social value statutory and mandatory requirements, policy and standards
- Working knowledge and understanding of best practice across the volunteering, fundraising and social impact fields.
- Ability to use evidence-based practice to develop solutions to meet business need.
- Prioritisation skills with ability to manage multiple projects and programmes of work.
- Ability to use initiative.
- Commitment to continuing professional development.
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Advanced communication skills in order to establish good working relationships with managers, staff and external organisations.
- Strong influencing, negotiating and conflict management skills.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality and deal with difficult situations in an empathetic and sensitive manner.
- Ability to be responsible and accountable for decision making.
- Strong Team worker with ability to motivate others.
- Training and presentation skills
- Understanding of NHS and government strategy and policy agendas
- Facilitation skills
- Significant experience in a volunteering, fundraising and social impact/ value role, working in a customer-focused environment interpreting relevant policy, standards and best practice.
- Experience of advising and working with senior managers
- Experience of designing and implementing programmes of work and initiatives.
- Experience of establishing and managing relationships with external organisations including charities.
- Experience of developing social value requirements or working with Procurement teams
- Experience of managing change around social impact
- Experience of chairing meetings and large forums.
Documents to download
Further details / informal visits contact
- Melanie Maughan
- Job title
- Wellbeing, Safeguarding and Social Impact Lead
- Email address
- Telephone number
- Additional information
Victoria Usher (Inclusion, Accessibility and Social Impact Lead)