Work for us
Digital Team Manager
NHS AfC: Band 7
- Team Manager
- NHS AfC: Band 7
- Full time
- Flexible working
- Stella House
- Newcastle Upon Tyne
- £43,742 - £50,056 per annum
- 05/06/2023 23:59
Leading and managing a multidisciplinary team to develop and support a range of products and services, demonstrating a range of leadership skills in managing, developing and supporting people, processes and activities. Instill professional and customer centric approaches to deliver a variety of change initiatives, projects and programmes of work, as well as reactively dealing with incidents swiftly and effectively so you can enable our journey to become a multi sourcing business.
Working with the Professional (Community of Practice) leads to ensure that staff from different professional disciplines to your own has the peer support from their community of practice as well as within their line management team.
Be an active member of the department, working under general direction and within a clear framework of accountability you will exercise substantial personal responsibility and autonomy to plan one or more teams’ workloads to meet objectives and delivery timeframes.
What do we offer?
- 27 days leave (increasing with length of service) plus 8 bank holidays
- Flexible working (we are happy to discuss options such as compressed hours)
- Flexi time
- Hybrid working model (we are currently working largely remotely)
- Career development
- Active wellbeing and inclusion networks
- Excellent pension
- NHS Car lease scheme
- Access to a wide range of benefits and high street discounts!
Main duties of the job
You will be an active member of the department, with occasional travel to other locations. Working under general direction and within a clear
framework of accountability you will exercise substantial personal responsibility and autonomy to plan one or more teams’ workloads to meet
objectives and delivery timeframes.
Demonstrating excellent communication skills, influencing across multiple groups of people including customers, suppliers and partners you will form
a deep understanding of wider customer and organisational needs, participating in both internal and external activities in line with your specialism to keep your skills up to date. With a clear ability to rationalise complex technical information, you will transform this information, making it understandable for others to work with.
Engaging with stakeholders, you will facilitate and foster collaborative approaches, prioritise requirements and optimise resource utilisation,
demonstrating a creative and innovative approach and advising on a number of standards, methods, tools and applications, so that the optimum
approaches, standards and solutions are delivered to meet organisational objectives.
Working for our organisation
At the NHS Business Services Authority (NHSBSA) we deliver a range of essential national services to NHS organisations and contractors, patients and the public.
You may already be using some of our services. Do you have a prescription pre-payment certificate? Perhaps you found this vacancy through NHS Jobs? We’re behind these, and much more.
Being one of the UK’s Best Big Companies to work for, our values are to be Collaborative, Adventurous, Reliable and Energetic. We CARE about what we do and support each other in achieving our objectives.
Our people are the heart of our organisation. We strive to ensure they feel trusted, valued and empowered. We’re passionate about nurturing and developing people. When you join us, we want you to grow, and we offer many opportunities for you to do that.
We welcome applications from people of all backgrounds. With wellbeing and inclusion central to our ethos, our BAME, Disability and Neurodiversity, LGBTQ+, Armed Forces and Women’s networks help our colleagues to be their authentic selves at work.
At the NHSBSA we value and respect the diversity of our colleagues and are committed to being a flexible employer. We are proud to offer flexible working opportunities. Whether you’re interested in hybrid working, working from home, flexible hours or job sharing, apply today and we can discuss available options with you at the interview stage.
We are the NHS delivering for the NHS.
Detailed job description and main responsibilities
In this role, you are accountable for:
1. Prioritising and managing a number of requirements across a range of skills and technologies, people and processes.
2. Contributing and creating business cases, including estimating resources, budgets and timescales.
3. Providing strong leadership to manage support issues and major incidents, whilst delivering a variety of sized change initiatives, and project.
4. Implementing processes that manage application lifecycles, from implementing new services, modernising existing services and
technologies, and retiring/replacing old products, services and technologies.
5. Managing a number of conflicting priorities, with multiple development and technologies, dealing the management of day to day activities and
general management of staff within multi-disciplinary teams.
6. Driving the identification, prioritisation and implementation of improvements and efficiencies, thereby ensuring that the organisation derives maximum value from services.
7. The management of day to day activities and general management of staff within multi-disciplinary teams.
8. Enabling the performance of others, including objectives setting fully aligned to departmental and organisational objectives and goals, and
the development and motivation of staff to achieve them.
9. Conducting meaningful appraisals and 1-1s, identifying and meeting development needs, implementing, monitoring, evaluating and reporting
on the impact and success of implemented training plans. Advises individuals on career paths and encourages pro-active development of
skills and capabilities. Sets performance targets and monitors progress against agreed quality and performance criteria.
10. Receive and act upon and where possible resolve a range of escalations including staffing, disciplinary procedures, resourcing business and
technical, to secure satisfactory outcomes. Where unable to resolve, providing sufficient detail, escalate to the appropriate levels within the
organisations, within agreed policies, procedures and processes to ensure appropriate resolution.
11. Undertake recruitment and selection in line with organisational processes, and participate in the implementation and delivery of initiatives to secure suitable resources, increase skills levels and develop talent pools to meet the changing needs of the business landscape.
12. Provide feedback to support and encourage teams and individuals to develop thinking and independently work through issues, to reach
solutions based outcomes. Leading by example by seeking, providing and implementing individual feedback to improve ways of working and
13. Keeping abreast of technological and maintain an excellent understanding of the use of technology in delivering business objectives.
14. Maintains an in-depth knowledge of application(s) residing within BSA business streams providing specialist advice where necessary.
15. Identify and support opportunities for the team to further develop their skills to meet the changing needs of the business Taking ownership for
decision making within own area, seeking support and feedback to develop well thought out solutions, processes and work as required, and
in conjunction with agreed procedures.
16. Maintain own knowledge and expertise at the forefront of sector knowledge. Investigate research and development to support future
business needs. Develop an understanding of emerging technologies and business opportunities
17. Responsibility for contributing to budget management processes in accordance with NHSBSA’s policies, standing orders, financial
regulations and legislative requirements.
18. Monitoring budget spend and resource estimates against projects, and change initiatives.
19. Identify opportunities, engaging and fostering relationships and partnership working within the organisation, and with third parties, to identify
and deliver value to the organisation.
20. Implements stakeholder engagement/ communications plans, such as handling of complaints; problems and issues; managing resolutions;
corrective actions and lessons learned; collection and dissemination of relevant information. Uses feedback from customers and
stakeholders to help measure effectiveness of stakeholder management.
21. Working collaboratively with Professional Leads to identify, implement and support team and individual development.
22. Implement, monitor and report on a number of areas including agreed service levels, KPI's and standards within team, reviewing individual
and team performances including outputs from appraisals, development needs, and trends are identified, and anomalies understood and
reports generated and delivered to agreed frequency, methods and processes.
23. Monitoring, reviewing accuracy and authorising a number of activities including financial claims leave requests and timesheet submissions at
both team and individual level to both assure accuracy and to inform forward planning and resource management.
24. Managing staff workload and completing own assigned tasks, to a high quality and within agreed timelines. Delivering continuous
improvements to enhance own and business areas;
25. Preparing plans to enable the delivery and management of projects and programmes undertaken by the team. Providing operational
direction in the preparation of plans to deliver systems and service across the organisation.
26. Manage and implement approaches strategies, standards, practices and policies across the team, ensuring and monitoring the timely
delivery of business objectives within budget through the management of projects and programmes.
27. Participating in procurement processes. Reviewing functional requirements and providing non-functional requirements to ensure the overall needs of the business are met..
In addition to the above accountabilities, as post holder you are expected to:
Undertake additional duties and responsibilities in line with the overall purpose of your role and as agreed by your line manager.
Demonstrate NHSBSA values and core capabilities in all aspects of your work.
Foster an environment where your own and colleagues’ safety and well-being is promoted.
Contribute to a culture which values diversity and inclusion.
Comply with NHSBSA policies, procedures and protocols as they apply to your role.
Responsible to: Service Manager
Responsible for: Team members
Key relationships and connections:
Intelligent Client Service Managers and staff
ICT Service Managers and Staff
BSA Heads of Service and Directors
BSA customer teams
Senior ICT Suppliers
Technical Operations Managers and Staff
Peer Networks in ICT Architecture, Service Management and Intelligent Client functions
Personal Qualities, Knowledge & Skills
- Business change, rationalisation and transformation
- Evaluation of data from multiple sources to inform decision making
- Planning and organisational skills across a broad range of activities to support the delivery of project planning and resource management
- Communicating and negotiating with internal and external bodies, suppliers and organisations to reach satisfactory outcomes for the organisation.
- On-going professional development
- A strong understanding of relevant frameworks and methods relevant to the role, such as Agile and Waterfall Project Management delivery methodologies
- Knowledge of IT systems, infrastructure, cloud and managed services.
- Experienced at Ongoing and continuous professional development
- Engaging and building relationships with a range of stakeholders to support delivery of business outcomes
- Leading and managing staff with a range of skills and experience to deliver organisational goals and objectives
- Engaging and building relationships with a range of stakeholders to support delivery of business outcomes.
- Working within a variety of development and support environments, technologies, and skills.
- Developing capabilities within multidisciplinary teams and at individual levels.
- Delivering difficult messages in challenging circumstances and providing honest and constructive feedback to support the ongoing development of skills and talent
- Working within a scrum teams.
- Interpreting strategy and translate emerging trends and technologies which might impact or benefit the organisation
- Open source and cloud technologies and their sourcing
- Degree calibre with relevant in-depth knowledge of the subject matter OR
- Relevant demonstrable experience of the subject matter
Documents to download
Further details / informal visits contact
- Amanda Parry
- Job title
- Digital People Lead
- Email address