Work for us
Service Delivery Manager
NHS AfC: Band 7
- Service Delivery Manager
- NHS AfC: Band 7
- 1 x Permanent 1 x Secondment
- Full time - 37.5 hours per week
- Bridge House/Hesketh House/Hybrid
- Newcastle Upon Tyne/Fleetwood
- £43,742 - £50,056 per annum
- 06/06/2023 23:59
An exciting opportunity has arisen for a Service Delivery Manager to lead Team Managers, working with our current Service Delivery Managers, and deliver across our portfolio of services.
What do we offer?
- 27 days leave (increasing with length of service) plus 8 bank holidays
- Flexible working (we are happy to discuss options such as compressed hours)
- Hybrid working model (we are currently working largely remotely)
- Career development
- Active wellbeing and inclusion networks
- Excellent pension
- NHS Car lease scheme
- Access to a wide range of benefits and high street discounts!
Main duties of the job
The Service Delivery Manager will report directly to the Senior Service Delivery Manager and work closely with the operational management team within Customer Operations as well as work collaboratively across areas of the NHSBSA where necessary.
Ensuring that all operational and service objectives are delivered on time and within budget, accountable for making sure KPIs are achieved and high quality services are delivered to all customers.
Working for our organisation
At the NHS Business Services Authority (NHSBSA) we deliver a range of essential national services to NHS organisations and contractors, patients and the public.
You may already be using some of our services. Do you have a prescription pre-payment certificate? Perhaps you found this vacancy through NHS Jobs? We’re behind these, and much more.
Being one of the UK’s Best Big Companies to work for, our values are to be Collaborative, Adventurous, Reliable and Energetic. We CARE about what we do and support each other in achieving our objectives.
Our people are the heart of our organisation. We strive to ensure they feel trusted, valued and empowered. We’re passionate about nurturing and developing people. When you join us, we want you to grow, and we offer many opportunities for you to do that.
We welcome applications from people of all backgrounds. With wellbeing and inclusion central to our ethos, our BAME, Disability and Neurodiversity, LGBTQ+, Armed Forces and Women’s networks help our colleagues to be their authentic selves at work.
At the NHSBSA we value and respect the diversity of our colleagues and are committed to being a flexible employer. We are proud to offer flexible working opportunities. Whether you’re interested in hybrid working, working from home, flexible hours or job sharing, apply today and we can discuss available options with you at the interview stage.
We are the NHS delivering for the NHS.
Detailed job description and main responsibilities
In this role, you are accountable for:
Stakeholder and Contract Management
- Engaging with and working proactively with stakeholders to assess current services and performance, identify and implement improvement opportunities and drive efficiencies, working towards common business goals and objectives.
- Responsible for maintaining positive relationships with a wide range of external suppliers, taking ownership for dealing with and resolving any performance issues.
- Ensuring contract delivery though engagement with the corporate Contract Management Team, or directly with the supplier.
- Be part of the delivery of projects, including leading from an operational perspective projects on the NHSBSA strategic roadmap.
- Represent the service within projects and the specific role will be determined by the scale and complexity of each project.
- Lead on continuous improvement projects with the support of the Service Manager, which will include internal and external stakeholder engagement.
- Contribute to the production of mandates, spend control forms and full business cases, identifying where future opportunities exist for improvement project
- Participate in the process when new technology or changes to current systems are required including procurements. This would involve assisting with the specification of requirements, research and working with outside contractors and stakeholders.
- Deliver operational objectives through performance management of direct reports (DRs) and through carrying out process improvement projects.
- Demonstrates clear leadership and management skills and the ability to influence and persuade others and leads teams in the delivery of business objectives and strategy.
- Responsible for setting clear objectives for direct reports and carrying out regular ORO reviews, developing and coaching direct reports to assist in delivery of business objectives and broaden their experience.
- Demonstrate support and guidance through the full application of all supporting tools and policies in place – HR planning, Absence Management policy, Health and Safety and all other applicable policies.
- Responsible for identifying personal development needs and learning requirements to ensure DRs have the correct skills and competencies required for the role.
- Ensures the Career Pathways programme is managed effectively, working with DR’s to ensure staff skills are being developed to support progression through the different roles and allow them move to the next level and create a ‘pool’ of resource.
- Provide guidance on management issues whilst also ensuring DRs remain fully empowered in a supportive environment.
- Carry out disciplinary meetings, where appropriate. Ensuring that HR policy is followed to ensure consistency.
- Working alongside Workforce Planning Managers, ensure staffing levels and profile of staff meets the business requirements. Including working closely with recruitment suppliers and managing that relationship effectively.
- Responsibility for complaint management within their service area, ensuring trends are analysed/identified and remedial action and improvement ideas are taken forward straight away.
- Ensure that the service area of responsibility has a flexible, dynamic and reliable work force that is equipped and trained to meet our changing business demands.
- Ensuring that current and future training needs are met using the most appropriate delivery method, utilising innovate approaches where right to do so.
- Preparation of short term to medium term operational and monitoring plans and taking necessary corrective action
- Have strategic input at times into prioritising longer term planning and activities in line with Corporate Business plans and Strategy
- Actively promote and realise the increased use of data analytics across and within individual services and use the data to assist and drive business improvements.
- Ensure that performance against Key Performance Indicators across a wide range of work streams is achieved. Identifying opportunities for improvements and carrying out detailed analysis of trends. Take appropriate corrective or preventative action.
Clients and Stakeholders
- Works collaboratively and effectively with colleagues at all levels from internal and external stakeholders
- Forms links with other organisations with the aim of sharing experience to improve services.
In addition to the above accountabilities, as post holder you are expected to:
- Deputise as required in the absence of your Line Manager.
- Carry out duties and responsibilities as required by your Line Manager commensurate with the job grading.
- Be accountable for own Personal Development needs in order to be fully equipped to meet future management and organisational needs.
- Have willingness to travel to other sites and external venues as necessary. Occasional overnight stays may be required.
- Diploma in Management (or equivalent experience)
- Educated to degree level (or equivalent).
- Significant demonstrable relevant management experience.
- Experience of managing staff.
- Experience of managing change.
- Experience of performance management.
- Experience of workflow management and working across multiple work streams.
- Budget management experience.
- Project management experience.
Personal Qualities, Knowledge and Skills
- Excellent verbal & written communication skills.
- Able to work on own initiative.
- Ability to see wider implications, consequences and connections for all issues.
- Excellent presentation skills needed for presentations to large groups
- Analytical Skills.
- Drafting and reporting skills.
- Strategic thinking.
- Good Team Player.
- Well organised.
- Able to work to tight deadlines & prioritise tasks.
- Ability to handle sensitive or confidential information.
- Able to travel nationally.
- IT Skills to enable full use of management information systems.
- Change management techniques.
- Strategic Management.
- Contract Management.
- Stakeholder Management.
Documents to download
Further details / informal visits contact
- Carly Harris
- Job title
- Senior Service Delivery Manager
- Email address