Work for us
Benefits Support Manager
NHS AfC: Band 7
- Benefits Mangement
- NHS AfC: Band 7
- Full time - 37.5 hours per week
- Stella House
- Newcastle upon Tyne
- £43,742 - £50,056 per annum
- 07/06/2023 23:59
As the Strategy, Performance, Business Development and Growth directorate matures and grows within the NHSBSA there is a need to further support our Benefits function with the role of a Benefits Support Manager. The Benefits team support all levels of benefits management and the delivery of wider system efficiencies. This includes, but is not limited to, supporting development of business cases, delivering benefits workshops, monitoring and reporting of project and programme benefits and providing advice and guidance to change delivery colleagues, project board members and SROs. With the support of the Benefits Analyst the post holder will develop benefits profiles for portfolio projects and programmes and wider system efficiency initiatives.
The post holder will need to work closely with Portfolio Management (PMD) colleagues, senior leaders across the organisation and be a member of several Programme Review Boards (PRBs).
What do we offer?
- 27 days leave (increasing with length of service) plus 8 bank holidays
- Flexible working (we are happy to discuss options such as compressed hours)
- Flexi time
- Hybrid working model (we are currently working largely remotely)
- Career development
- Active wellbeing and inclusion networks
- Excellent pension
- NHS Car lease scheme
- Access to a wide range of benefits and high street discounts!
Main duties of the job
We are looking for a motivated, confident individual who has substantial experience in benefits management. They will be able to support colleagues’ understanding of benefits, using various means such as online meetings, phone calls and face to face meetings. Communicating effectively will be key, both verbally and in writing, to cascade complex benefits information and models with staff within and outside of the NHSBSA in relation to the provision of benefits services.
It is essential that the post holder is capable of flexibility in their approach and has experience of developing and maintaining relationships with members of PRBs and projects boards, Portfolio Management Directorate and Finance colleagues and as well as external stakeholders.
Delivering timely and accurate reporting of portfolio benefits and wider system efficiencies for designated services to support monthly and quarterly benefits reporting at multiple levels, as well as supporting the Benefits Lead in the development of wider system efficiency proposals for discussion with commissioners and sponsors.
The post holder must be able to work independently with minimal supervision and collaborate closely with team members to contribute to overall team performance.
Working for our organisation
The Benefits Team is part of the Strategy, Planning & Performance Team. Working collaboratively across the whole organisation provides exciting opportunities to get involved in new work and support the wider business.
Detailed job description and main responsibilities
In this role, you are accountable for:
- Delivering timely and accurate reporting of portfolio benefits and wider system efficiencies for designated services to support monthly and quarterly benefits reporting at both directorate, portfolio and NHSBSA Board level. This includes reviewing and validating analysis supplied by the Benefits Analyst and following up on anomalies with service areas where necessary.
- Supporting and reviewing the development of dashboards and reporting tools as required to support benefits modelling and reporting, working with the Benefits Analyst to implement improvements in reporting, including automation, data analysis, insight and data presentation to meet business needs.
- Working closely with the Benefits Analyst, review the outputs of the benefits module of the portfolio management system to ensure that benefits records for designated services are accurate and up to date.
- Delivering benefits workshops and developing benefits profiles for projects and programmes.
- Reviewing project benefits reporting as part of project gateway review responsibilities.
- Developing and maintaining relationships with members of PRBs and projects boards, PMD and Finance colleagues and external.
- Attending PRB’s and other project boards, actively supporting the review of project benefits, responding to queries, challenging assumptions and highlighting areas for discussion.
- The postholder will be confident in developing an appropriate style that supports colleagues’ understanding of benefits, using various means such as online meetings, phone calls and face to face meetings. It is essential that the postholder is capable of flexibility in their approach.
- Achieving team and personal objectives in accordance with the SPBDG business planning priorities.
- Communicating effectively, both verbally and in writing, complex benefits information and models with staff within and outside of the NHSBSA in relation to the provision of benefits services.
- Working independently with minimal supervision and collaborating closely with your team to contribute to overall team performance.
- Delivering training, support, advice and guidance to colleagues on benefits related matters.
- Deputising for other Benefits Support Managers when required.
- Supporting the Benefits Lead in the development of benefits guidance, products and services.
- Supporting the Benefits Lead by undertaking first stage review of business cases, highlighting areas which require additional review and further input from the business case author.
- Deputising for the Benefits Lead in non-staff matters such as attending Portfolio and Programme Assurance Group (PPAG).
- Delivering post project reviews to collate lessons learned in respect of benefits and to validate the benefits realisation is on track.
- Supporting the Benefits Lead in the development of wider system efficiency proposals for discussion with commissioners and sponsors.
- Educated to Degree level (or equivalent qualification / experience).
- Recognised Benefits qualification (Practitioner Level) and experience.
- Project management qualification
- Facilitation skills
- Presentation skills
Personal Qualities, Knowledge & Skills
- Excellent knowledge of benefits management methodologies and frameworks.
- Budgeting and costing techniques.
- Complex benefits modelling.
- Strong leadership and motivational skills.
- Able to handle sensitive and contentious issues and information.
- Excellent communication skills, with the ability to communicate with a variety of audiences.
- Personal management skills – self starter and able to work as a team.
- Ability to prioritise workload where resource / time is limited and meet deadlines
- Ability to assimilate facts quickly and develop a reasoned response
- Good persuasion and influencing skills
- Well- developed analytical skills
- Curious nature and effectively deep dives into material
- Accurate with attention to detail
- Excellent problem solving skills
- Make formal presentations to large groups.
- Diplomacy, assertiveness, proactive approach
- Process, analyse and present complex information to non-benefits colleagues
- Knowledge of HM Treasury business case guidance.
- Ability to work under pressure.
- Detailed understanding of NHS and Central Government benefit models.
- Project evaluation techniques.
- Knowledge of IPA Benefits Management guidance
- Knowledge of public sector and commercial benefits models
- Ability to use best practice in all aspects of benefits management.
- Good understanding of NHSBSA services and systems.
- Evidence of continued personal development.
- Experience of providing relevant information in a concise format in order to establish good working relationship across the organisation.
- Demonstrable practical experience of developing and realising benefits in large scale / complex organisations, including leading concurrent pieces of work of varying degrees of complexity, size and duration
- Practical experience of utilising available evidence and developing benefits profiles to support business case approval.
- Proven ability and experience of managing senior stakeholders
- The assessment of likely benefits realisation
- Data analysis, interpretation and presentation skills
- Experience of work with MS Office tools (excel, word, powerpoint)
- Experience of using Power BI dashboards and reports
- Supporting the production of board level reports.
- Experience of facilitating workshops and events for a diverse range of stakeholder
- Operating and delivering projects in the public sector
- Experience of supporting the development of a benefits management service and delivering service improvements.
- Project management experience.
- Experience of using MIRO.
- Experience of using Portfolio and Programme management systems.
Documents to download
Further details / informal visits contact
- Lisa Healey
- Job title
- Benefits Lead
- Email address