Work for us
Data Warehouse & BI Developer
NHS AfC: Band 8a
- Data Warehouse
- NHS AfC: Band 8a
- Full time - 37.5 hours per week
- Stella House
- Newcastle upon Tyne
- £47,126 - £53,219 per annum
- 24/05/2022 23:59
If you are highly accurate and enjoy working with complex data, are experienced in using information to produce solutions, and are looking for a role that can make a difference, the NHS Business Services Authority (NHSBSA) have the opportunity for you! We are looking for a Data Warehouse and BI Developer to join our team. It’s the perfect opportunity to see how the NHS can help you take the next step in your career!
Are you highly skilled in database and data warehouse technologies with a thorough knowledge of ETL processing and database design? You have what this role needs! You will join the Data Warehouse team, handling the design, development, testing, and productionisation of ETL processes into the data warehouse. You will be working with high-volume, complex, health-related data sets in an exciting and challenging environment using the latest cloud technologies.
What do we offer?
- 27 days leave (increasing with length of service) plus 8 bank holidays
- Flexible working (we are happy to discuss options such as compressed hours)
- Hybrid working model (we are currently working largely remotely)
- Career development
- Active wellbeing and inclusion networks
- Excellent pension
- NHS Car lease scheme
- Access to a wide range of benefits and high street discounts!
Main duties of the job
- Play a pivotal role in the development and execution of our business strategy. The NHSBSA produces vast amounts of data from the billions of transactions it performs every year across £36 billion of NHS activity; leveraging the value of this data is fundamental for the success of our strategy.
- Use your Data Warehouse and ETL experience to ensure we can deliver at pace and with confidence in the security, accuracy, and performance of our Enterprise Data Warehouse.
- Ensure operational aspects of the Enterprise Data Warehouse are fulfilled alongside developing highly complex solutions to enable sourcing, extracting, transforming, loading, and providing access for data within the NHSBSA’s data warehouse.
- Use your expertise to provide highly complex data to drive the development of business intelligence and insight.
- Work with data experts from partner organisation to ensure that we are using best practice and the latest techniques in how we handle data.
Working for our organisation
At the NHS Business Services Authority (NHSBSA) we deliver a range of essential national services to NHS organisations and contractors, patients and the public.
You may already be using some of our services. Do you have a prescription pre-payment certificate? Perhaps you found this vacancy through NHS Jobs? We’re behind these, and much more.
Being one of the UK’s Best Big Companies to work for, our values are to be Collaborative, Adventurous, Reliable and Energetic. We CARE about what we do and support each other in achieving our objectives.
Our people are the heart of our organisation. We strive to ensure they feel trusted, valued, and empowered. We’re passionate about nurturing and developing people. When you join us, we want you to grow, and we offer many opportunities for you to do that.
We welcome applications from people of all backgrounds. With wellbeing and inclusion central to our ethos, our BAME, Disability and Neurodiversity, LGBTQ+, Armed Forces and Women’s networks help our colleagues to be their authentic selves at work.
At the NHSBSA we value and respect the diversity of our colleagues and are committed to being a flexible employer. We are proud to offer flexible working opportunities. Whether you’re interested in hybrid working, working from home, flexible hours or job sharing, apply today and we can discuss available options with you at the interview stage.
We are the NHS delivering for the NHS.
Detailed job description and main responsibilities
The post holder will be responsible for leading the development and maintenance of data warehouses across our business services. The post holder will use advanced expertise in data management to take business requirements and translate these into data repositories that drive the delivery of business intelligence. The post holder will be responsible for the full development lifecycle of reporting, database, data integration, cube and data warehousing solutions from scratch. The role requires significant technical expertise in using Oracle products.
The post holder will determine how data from internal systems used to deliver NHSBSA services are brought in to the warehouse and will provide expert advice to ensure that warehouse requirements are included in all future systems developments. The role will provide leadership in transitioning from local reporting mechanisms to using advanced business intelligence tools.
The post holder will take forward the Information Services vision through delivering strategic data solutions for the NHSBSA that enables provision of accurate and reliable information to the NHS, government and other external bodies.
In this role, you are accountable for:
1. Key responsible individual for the development of data warehouse services across the NHSBSA to enable the implementation of effective business intelligence.
2. Provide expertise in integrating, and optimising structured and/or unstructured data using highly complex database products, technologies, and methods. Typical examples of the deliverables are database designs, information models (logical, physical and dimensional), data migration plans, and data warehouse repositories.
3. Responsible for data mapping, detailed data analysis and metadata analysis; creating and maintaining mapping documents and technical documentation.
4. Responsible for analysis of highly complex and sensitive data within the data warehouse and the investigation of new data sources. Providing expertise in combining transaction data from the NHSBSA with data from external sources such as NHS England, NHS Digital, DWP and Public Health England.
5. Responsible for designing and implementing the OBIEE BI Repository (RPD) at the physical, business model and presentation layers to meet business requirements, including SQL/PLSQL queries, Data Modelling, and Star Schema design.
6. Co-ordination and delivery of agreed reporting requirements within the data warehouse, together with planning and scheduling of work plans for staff in Information Services and for the management of staff delivering projects to ensure that targets are achieved.
7. Responsible for negotiating priorities for delivering changes to information and data structures with business and programme managers.
8. Responsible for developing policies for ETL development and implementation, based on best practice to deliver optimum performance.
9. Ensure data warehouse security is designed, developed, implemented and maintained in line with recognised best practice.
10. Monitor and optimise the performance of the data warehouse systems and the accuracy of the reported data. Oversee the disaster recovery environment.
11. Solve complex problems for key service users to deliver business intelligence requirements. Work with requirement owners to define and clearly document business reporting requirements, issues and challenges, including technical implications.
12. Lead on the delivery of integration of information systems into the warehouse from across the NHSBSA, developing plans to replace manual reporting processes within services.
13. Develop clear plans for data warehouse development, mapping out proposed improvements and resources required. Ensure that upgrades and enhancements to the data warehouse and associated software are properly planned and implemented to agreed quality standards.
14. Build business cases to gain approval for data warehouse development, to include forecasting costs, resources and timescales.
15. Maintain an understanding of NHSBSA strategic direction, technical capabilities, IT architecture strategy, and business support initiatives.
16. Take responsibility for own professional development and engage in the organisation appraisal system positively to identify personal training and development opportunities.
17. Be a point of expert advice for senior stakeholders on the capabilities and complexities of the data warehouse, and manage expectations over data warehouse deliverables
- Postgraduate level qualification in a relevant technical discipline or relevant equivalent experience, supported by specialist training and relevant study
- Postgraduate degree in computer science with a mathematics or statistics qualification or equivalent
- Demonstrable expertise in Data modelling and Data Warehousing
- Current expert knowledge and experience of using SQL and PLSQL
- Experience of ETL development
- Experience of requirements gathering and working with stakeholders to establish clear and realistic requirements
- Experience of NHS data
- Experience with Oracle Exadata and Exalytics
- Experience of the whole project life-cycle and/or a structured project management methodology
- Experience of working with Reporting Meta data tools such as RPD, Cognos Framework Manager and BO Universe
- Expert knowledge of Business Intelligence and Data Warehouse methodology (FACT and Dimensions) and concepts
- Expert knowledge of data modeling
- Experience of relational databases
- Strong analytical skills with good attention to detail
- A good knowledge of freedom of information and data protection legislation
- Excellent understanding of report development, performance tuning and query optimisation techniques
- Writing documentation
- Understanding business requirements
- Excellent problem solving skills
- Fluent and effective communicator at all levels
- Able to learn new technologies
- Proactive and personally motivated
- Accurate with attention to detail
- Commitment to continuing professional development
- Works effectively within a team environment
Documents to download
Further details / informal visits contact
- Sam Basu
- Job title
- Enterprise Data Architect
- Email address