Work for us
Colleague Experience Advisor
NHS AfC: Band 6
- People and Corporate Services
- NHS AfC: Band 6
- Full time
- Part time
- Job share
- Flexible working
- Compressed hours
- Stella House
- Newcastle upon Tyne
- £35,392 - £42,618 per annum
- 07/06/2023 23:59
An exciting opportunity has arisen for a Colleague Experience Advisor within the Colleague Experience and Social Impact Team at NHS Business Services Authority.
Our reputation as a partner of choice to the NHS is possible because of the amazing individuals and teams making up our organisation. At the NHSBSA we know our people are our greatest asset which is why we place people at the heart of everything we do. We have introduced a range of programmes to enhance colleague wellbeing in the workplace and to create an environment where everyone can flourish.
We are looking for someone who is passionate about wellbeing and inclusion, creating meaningful long-lasting change, who can bring skills, experience and knowledge to support this work and our colleagues. You’ll understand the challenges and barriers faced and take an empathetic approach to providing support, problem solving and developing initiatives to achieve our aspirations.
Please note there is a minimum requirement to travel to our Newcastle offices of once per month and some other travel may be needed as part of this role.
What do we offer?
- 27 days leave (increasing with length of service) plus 8 bank holidays
- Flexible working (we are happy to discuss options such as compressed hours)
- Flexi time
- Hybrid working model (we are currently working largely remotely)
- Career development
- Active wellbeing & inclusion networks
- Excellent pension
- NHS Car lease scheme
- Access to a wide range of benefits & high street discounts
Main duties of the job
The post holder will support the development and implementation of our programmes of work, advising on all matters relating to Wellbeing and Safeguarding across the organisation.
The role will be based in the Colleague Experience and Social Impact Team, in the People and Corporate Services directorate and will work with colleagues in the wider People Team to develop a culture where wellbeing and inclusion are embedded in the organisation. The post holder will support the NHSBSA’s approach to wellbeing and safeguarding, which will include working collaboratively with managers and colleagues on relevant policies, systems, processes, and programme of work to enable the delivery of our aims and objectives. You will work on ensuring compliance with legislative and mandatory requirements and will also support a proactive culture which champions wellbeing, safeguarding, diversity and inclusion and ensures the NHSBSA has a positive impact for all, in line with the wider business strategy.
Working for our organisation
At the NHS Business Services Authority (NHSBSA) we deliver a range of essential national services to NHS organisations and contractors, patients and the public.
You may already be using some of our services. Do you have a prescription pre-payment certificate? Perhaps you found this vacancy through NHS Jobs? We’re behind these, and much more.
Being one of the UK’s Best Big Companies to work for, our values are to be Collaborative, Adventurous, Reliable and Energetic. We CARE about what we do and support each other in achieving our objectives.
Our people are the heart of our organisation. We strive to ensure they feel trusted, valued and empowered. We’re passionate about nurturing and developing people. When you join us, we want you to grow, and we offer many opportunities for you to do that.
We welcome applications from people of all backgrounds. With wellbeing and inclusion central to our ethos, our BAME, Disability and Neurodiversity, LGBTQ+, Armed Forces and Women’s networks help our colleagues to be their authentic selves at work.
At the NHSBSA we value and respect the diversity of our colleagues and are committed to being a flexible employer. We are proud to offer flexible working opportunities. Whether you’re interested in hybrid working, working from home, flexible hours or job sharing, apply today and we can discuss available options with you at the interview stage.
We are the NHS delivering for the NHS.
Detailed job description and main responsibilities
In this role, you are accountable for:
- Supporting the Wellbeing, Safeguarding and Social Impact Lead in the delivery of relevant strategies and interventions, across all aspects of wellbeing and safeguarding.
- Monitoring and evaluating wellbeing and safeguarding programmes in support of the wider business strategy and corporate objectives.
- Ensuring compliance with all statutory and mandatory requirements for wellbeing and safeguarding generally.
- Supporting the NHSBSA’s participation in and submissions for a range of annual performance benchmarking standards including the Better Health at Work Awards, Menopause Friendly Workplace Accreditation and the White Ribbon Accreditation scheme amongst others and supporting the delivery of relevant action plans to maintain and improve upon the outcomes.
- Providing specialist advice and guidance to managers and colleagues across the organisation on aspects of wellbeing and safeguarding, and signposting and escalating urgent/complex wellbeing, safeguarding, domestic abuse and mental health queries requiring specialist advice where required.
- Supporting the creation and roll out of wellbeing and safeguarding delivery plans; analysis of workforce data and use of external benchmarking to inform our work.
- Supporting the Colleague Networks including jointly chairing some of the networks and working closely with the various Network Co-Chairs to co-ordinate activity across the networks and overseeing their annual programmes of work, ensuring that this supports delivery of the wellbeing and inclusion strategies, and wider business strategy.
- Advising on the various network’s annual programmes of campaigns and events, working closely with the Communications and Marketing team to develop a wide range of internal and external communications and engagement pieces which increase colleague awareness and understanding, and raise the profile of the NHSBSA through external promotion with a wide range of stakeholders.
- Working collaboratively with People Team colleagues, including co-creation and providing specialist advice on a range of People Team projects that support the NHSBSA’s approaches to attraction, development and retention.
- Working with the Talent Acquisition Team and Learning and Organisation Development Team to ensure that wellbeing is embedded into the approach to attract and retain talent in a hybrid world.
- Supporting the Wellbeing and Inclusion Analysis process across the organisation, ensuring that changes planned to services and policies are compliant with social value, equality legislation and accessibility requirements, and advising project, policy or service leads on mitigating actions to remove or reduce risk.
- Sourcing specialist support, training and providing wellbeing and safeguarding updates and information to colleagues.
- Working with the Colleague Experience and Social Impact Team to design and deliver specialist training and awareness programmes for colleagues across the NHSBSA.
- Horizon scanning, analysing and interpreting data and information, producing written reports and making recommendations for action, as well as contributing to annual reports and reports for the Wellbeing and Inclusion Committee.
- Representing the NHSBSA in national and regional wellbeing and inclusion groups and forums, developing and maintaining excellent working relationships with internal and external stakeholders.
- Deputising for the Wellbeing, Safeguarding and Social Impact Lead where necessary.
Proposed Interview date: 30 June 2023
- Relevant degree or equivalent qualification or significant equivalent experience
- Specialist qualifications/training in Wellbeing or equivalent experience
- MHFA Instructor Training
- Safeguarding Qualification
- Project Management qualification
- Associate CIPD/People Management qualification
Personal qualities, knowledge and skills
- Working knowledge of Wellbeing and safeguarding, diversity and inclusion, law, policies and standards.
- Working knowledge and understanding of best practice relating to wellbeing and safeguarding
- Engaging presenting and facilitation skills
- Ability to maintain confidentiality and deal with sensitive situations in an empathetic, non-judgmental, compassionate manner.
- Excellent communication skills: ability to establish good working relationships with colleagues, managers and external organisations.
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Commitment to on-going professional development.
- Proactive, confident, enthusiastic, and ability to use initiative.
- Good report writing and presentation skills.
- Prioritisation skills with ability to manage multiple projects and programmes of work.
- Collaborative team worker.
- Understanding of NHS and government strategy and policy agendas
- Working knowledge of health inequalities
- Experience in a Wellbeing and Safeguarding focused role or people focused/HR role.
- Experience of advising, influencing and working with colleagues and managers (e.g., wellbeing, safeguarding, mental health and domestic abuse)
- Experience of developing and implementing programmes of work and initiatives
- Experience of chairing meetings, large forums and networks.
- Data analysis: using an evidence-based approach to underpin decision making, to make improvements and recommendations.
- Experience of responding to complex complaints and queries and using relevant best practice and legislation to support the recommendation or response.
- Experience of working in a customer focused environment interpreting relevant diversity and inclusion policy, standards and best practice.
- Project management experience such as delivering objectives and aims set out in delivery/action plans.
- 9. Experience of supporting/co-chairing or working with colleague or staff networks.
- Experience of developing and delivering training.
- Experience of advising on wellbeing and inclusion analysis / equality impact assessment
- Experience of managing relationships with external organisations, stakeholders and charities.
- Experience of managing change
Documents to download
Further details / informal visits contact
- Melanie Maughan
- Job title
- Wellbeing, Safeguarding and Social Impact Lead
- Email address
- Telephone number
- Additional information
Victoria Usher (Inclusion, Accessibility and Social Impact Lead)