Work for us
Social Impact Manager - Social Mobility
NHS AfC: Band 7
- People, Social Impact, Inclusion, Social Mobility
- NHS AfC: Band 7
- Full time
- Part time
- Job share
- Flexible working
- Compressed hours
- Stella House
- Newcastle upon Tyne
- £43,742 - £50,056 per annum
- 07/06/2023 23:59
An exciting opportunity has arisen for a Social Impact Manager – Social Mobility, within the Colleague Experience and Social Impact Team at NHS Business Services Authority. We are looking for someone who is passionate about delivering social impact, focusing on social mobility. Making the most of opportunities to create social value, and to bring about meaningful change within these pathways. You’d bring skill, experience and knowledge and take a creative, resourceful approach to this work, developing initiatives to achieve our aspirations. We are committed to flexible working, championing flexible working arrangements and we welcome applications from everyone. We encourage applications from those in underrepresented groups, e.g. people from Black, Asian, minority ethnic backgrounds, those who are neurodiverse or have a disability or health condition, who are LGBTQ+, Trans, non-binary or gender diverse. Please note there is a minimum requirement to travel to our Newcastle offices of once per month and some other travel may be needed as part of this role. What do we offer? 27 days leave (increasing with length of service) plus 8 bank holidays Flexible working (we are happy to discuss options such as compressed hours) Flexi time Hybrid working model (we are currently working largely remotely) Career development Active wellbeing and inclusion networks Excellent pension NHS Car lease scheme Access to a wide range of benefits and high street discounts!
Main duties of the job
As the NHSBSA Social Impact Manager (Social Mobility), you will work with the Inclusion, Accessibility and Social Impact Lead to set the strategic direction for the organisation’s approach to social mobility and social impact, ensuring alignment with the Diversity and Inclusion, Talent Acquisition, Talent Development, People, and wider business strategies.
The post holder will design and manage all social mobility programmes of work and develop and implement appropriate interventions. The post holder will work closely with the Social Impact Manager – Volunteering and Fundraising, ensuring collaboration and alignment between the areas of focus. Both roles will work closely with the Environment Manager, Commercial Team and Portfolio Management Directorate to ensure that social value is fully embedded throughout the NHSBSA business and policy change, and procurement processes to ensure all opportunities for social impact are maximised. They will also work closely with the People Data Team and Digital, Data and Technology Directorate on the approach to capturing and analysing social mobility data and ensure this supports the demonstration of the organisation’s social impact.
The role will be based in the Colleague Experience and Social Impact Team within the People and Corporate Services directorate and will support the Inclusion, Accessibility and Social Impact Lead to develop a culture where social impact is further embedded in the organisation.
Working for our organisation
At the NHS Business Services Authority (NHSBSA) we deliver a range of essential national services to NHS organisations and contractors, patients and the public.
You may already be using some of our services. Do you have a prescription pre-payment certificate? Perhaps you found this vacancy through NHS Jobs? We’re behind these, and much more.
Being one of the UK’s Best Big Companies to work for, our values are to be Collaborative, Adventurous, Reliable and Energetic. We CARE about what we do and support each other in achieving our objectives.
Our people are the heart of our organisation. We strive to ensure they feel trusted, valued and empowered. We’re passionate about nurturing and developing people. When you join us, we want you to grow, and we offer many opportunities for you to do that.
We welcome applications from people of all backgrounds. With wellbeing and inclusion central to our ethos, our BAME, Disability and Neurodiversity, LGBTQ+, Armed Forces and Women’s networks help our colleagues to be their authentic selves at work.
At the NHSBSA we value and respect the diversity of our colleagues and are committed to being a flexible employer. We are proud to offer flexible working opportunities. Whether you’re interested in hybrid working, working from home, flexible hours or job sharing, apply today and we can discuss available options with you at the interview stage.
We are the NHS delivering for the NHS.
Detailed job description and main responsibilities
In this role, you are accountable for:
- Supporting the Inclusion, Accessibility and Social Impact Lead in the development and implementation of the NHSBSA social impact strategy in support of the Diversity and Inclusion, Talent Acquisition, Talent Development, People, and wider business strategies and corporate objectives.
- Researching, developing and implementing social mobility policies, procedures, guidance and systems, which are consistent with national initiatives and the NHSBSA’s strategic direction. Monitor, evaluate and review these for impact and effectiveness ensuring that they comply with relevant legislation, codes of practice and best practice.
- Ensuring compliance with all statutory and mandatory requirements around social mobility, advising on best practice within these fields, and ensuring that robust arrangements are in place to withstand scrutiny by relevant audit or inspection bodies.
- Working closely with the People Data Team and Digital, Data and Technology Directorate to design the organisation’s approach and data solution to measuring social mobility and ensure this supports the demonstration of the organisation’s social impact.
- Identify and analyse social mobility and other relevant data to make recommendations and to support the development of the NHSBSA’s approach to social mobility, taking an evidenced based approach.
- Working collaboratively with the Talent Acquisition Team to ensure we identify, establish and maintain excellent working relationships with external organisations, community groups and charities, universities and schools etc. with the purpose of increasing social mobility in local communities by promoting the NHSBSA as an employer of choice, for example through the creation of a work experience programme.
- Working closely with the Learning and Organisation Development team to ensure the NHSBSA’s approaches to apprenticeships and talent development maximises opportunities to increase social mobility for colleagues and within local communities.
- Working collaboratively with stakeholders, shape and design a range of programmes to increase attraction, recruitment and progression to support the aims of the strategy.
- Create strong links and work collaboratively with internal stakeholders such as the Talent Acquisition Team, Communications and Marketing Team and Operational Leads to embed our approach to social impact across the wider organisation.
- Write high quality communications, presentations, reports guidance and other material with the aim of increasing engagement and awareness of social mobility and engaging senior leaders, Leadership Team, and Heads of Service in this work.
- Evaluate and measure social mobility achieved through the various programmes implemented, against the organisation’s aims.
- Provide specialist advice to internal stakeholders (Portfolio Management Directorate, Commercial Team etc) on social value, through the analysis and impact assessment process that reflects legal requirements and the NHSBSA values relating to social impact.
- Work closely with the Environment Manager, Commercial Team and Portfolio Management Directorate to ensure that social value is fully embedded throughout the NHSBSA business and policy change, and procurement processes to ensure all opportunities for social impact are maximised.
- Designing and leading programmes of campaigns and events, working collaboratively with the Communications and Marketing Team to develop a range of communications which increases colleague engagement around social mobility and raise the profile of the NHSBSA through external promotion with a wide range of stakeholders.
- Working with the Inclusion, Accessibility and Social Impact Lead and People Data Team to identify and create a range of indicators for social mobility to support the Leadership Team and Board to understand progress and offer insight into the organisation’s development, providing a robust baseline for this work.
- Analysing and interpreting complex information produced by a wide range of organisations and making recommendations for action, as well as producing detailed and complex reports, and presenting these as necessary to a wide range of audiences.
- Providing specialist advice to the Leadership Team, Heads of Service, managers and colleagues on social mobility.
- Representing the NHSBSA in national and regional social mobility groups and forums, developing and maintaining excellent working relationships with internal and external stakeholders.
- Deputising for the Inclusion, Accessibility and Social Impact Lead where necessary.
- Authorised signatory for social mobility budgets. Has a thorough knowledge of, and adheres to at all times, the Authority's Standing Financial Instructions, Standing Orders and Purchasing procedures.
- Degree or equivalent qualification or significant equivalent experience
- Masters/ postgraduate or equivalent qualification or significant equivalent experience
- Project Management qualification
Personal qualities, knowledge and skills
- Working knowledge of social mobility and social value statutory and mandatory requirements, policy and standards
- Working knowledge and understanding of best practice across the social mobility field
- Ability to use evidence-based practice to develop solutions to meet business need
- Advanced communication skills to establish good working relationships with managers, staff and external organisations.
- Strong influencing, negotiating and conflict management skills.
- Commitment to continuing professional development
- Ability to maintain confidentiality and deal with difficult situations in a sensitive, empathetic manner.
- Ability to be responsible and accountable for decision making.
- Prioritisation skills with ability to manage multiple projects and programmes of work.
- Strong Team worker with ability to motivate others.
- Ability to use initiative.
- Training and presentation skills
- Understanding of NHS and government strategy and policy agendas
- Facilitation skills
- Significant experience in a social mobility and value role, working in a customer-focused environment interpreting relevant policy, standards and best practice
- Experience of advising and working with senior managers
- Experience of designing and implementing programmes of work and initiatives.
- Experience of establishing and managing relationships with external organisations including charities, schools and community groups
- Experience of developing social value requirements or working with Procurement teams
- Experience of managing change relating to social value
- Experience of chairing meetings and large forums
Documents to download
Further details / informal visits contact
- Victoria Usher
- Job title
- Inclusion, Accessibility and Social Impact Lead
- Email address
- Telephone number
- Additional information
Melanie Maughan (Wellbeing, Safeguarding and Social Impact Lead)