Work for us
NHS AfC: Band 7
- Project Management
- NHS AfC: Band 7
- Permanent: N/A
- Full time - 37.5 hours per week
- Newcastle upon Tyne
- £43,742 - £50,056 per annum
- 11/06/2023 23:59
The NHSBSA is undertaking a challenging and exciting change portfolio in line with our strategic goals and emerging service needs. Our change portfolio delivers projects to support NHS organisations, patients and the public.
Who we're looking for
We are looking for experienced, motivated and delivery focussed Project Managers who can lead our project teams.
Excellent stakeholder engagement skills are a must to ensure a user-centric focus is maintained throughout delivery. When writing your personal statement, please ensure you demonstrate how you meet each of the essential criteria of the person specification.
Our recruitment process
Applications will be reviewed during the application window against the person specification for the role
Once the vacancy is closed, remaining applicants are shortlisted against the essential and desirable criteria
Successful candidates are invited to a first-round interview, scheduled week commencing 19 June. A final interview round including a scenario task, will be scheduled week commencing 26 June
What do we offer?
- 27 days leave (increasing with length of service) plus 8 bank holidays
- Flexible working (we are happy to discuss options such as compressed hours)
- Flexi time
- Hybrid working model
- Career development
- Active wellbeing and inclusion networks
- Excellent pension
- NHS Car lease scheme
- Access to a wide range of benefits and high street discounts
Main duties of the job
- Responsible for the delivery of projects on behalf of the Project
- Executive in accordance with the NHSBSA Project Management Framework
- Building and leading project teams throughout the lifecycle of the project
- Work collaboratively with internal and external stakeholders
- Ensuring budget is agreed and controlling expenditure against project deliverables
- Responsible for the management of risks and issues emerging within the project
- Ensuring benefits are identified and monitored to ensure successful realisation
Working for our organisation
At the NHS Business Services Authority (NHSBSA) we deliver a range of essential national services to NHS organisations and contractors, patients and the public.
You may already be using some of our services. Do you have a prescription pre-payment certificate? Perhaps you found this vacancy through NHS Jobs? We’re behind these, and much more.
Being one of the UK’s Best Big Companies to work for, our values are to be Collaborative, Adventurous, Reliable and Energetic. We CARE about what we do and support each other in achieving our objectives.
Our people are the heart of our organisation. We strive to ensure they feel trusted, valued and empowered. We’re passionate about nurturing and developing people. When you join us, we want you to grow, and we offer many opportunities for you to do that.
We welcome applications from people of all backgrounds. With wellbeing and inclusion central to our ethos, our BAME, Disability and Neurodiversity, LGBTQ+, Armed Forces and Women’s networks help our colleagues to be their authentic selves at work.
At the NHSBSA we value and respect the diversity of our colleagues and are committed to being a flexible employer. We are proud to offer flexible working opportunities. Whether you’re interested in hybrid working, working from home, flexible hours or job sharing, apply today and we can discuss available options with you at the interview stage.
We are the NHS delivering for the NHS.
Detailed job description and main responsibilities
In this role, you are accountable for:
- Create and lead the project to deliver the agreed outcomes within time, cost and quality constraints
- Deliver project in line with internal and external assurance frameworks as appropriate
- Day to day management and leadership of the project and the project team
- Set project controls
- Select and apply appropriate delivery methodologies
- Delivery of cohesive project Business Cases through collaborative input from subject matter experts
- Develop the budget and track delivery
- Ensure all expenditure is governed in accordance with NHSBSA Standing Financial Instructions and DHSC / Cabinet Office spend control
- Identify skill requirements and deploy resources. Manage a medium sized team
- Delivery of the agreed Business Case scope in line with defined time, cost, and quality criteria to enable the realisation of benefits post project
- Ensure appropriate Benefits Realisation Strategy is in place to enable longer term delivery of benefits against the Business Case within post project Benefit Realisation
- Identify and manage stakeholder relationships and need for senior level support Manage internal and external relationships as appropriate
- Identify and monitor project risks and issues. Develop mitigating actions and escalate as appropriate
- Lead risk management within project team in accordance with NHSBSA Risk Management Framework
- Support effective governance and decision making. Provide reporting and engage in mechanisms that hold you, as Project Manager, to account for delivery
- Manage progress and delivery confidence reporting in line with internal NHSBSA and external reporting cycles as required
- Engage with assurance reviews and support action on recommendations. Organise assurance processes such as gateway reviews, as required
- Ensure effective Change Management processes are in place to agree and document changes to deliverables as agreed with stakeholders
- Seek appropriate support, guidance and coaching from the project community.
- Show commitment to personal development
- Active involvement in knowledge sharing and informal mentoring within the Programme and Project Management community
Personal Qualities, Knowledge and Skills
- Strong stakeholder management skills
- Ability to build effective relationships with, and influence, stakeholders
- Resilient and determined, with strong negotiation skills and ability to constructively challenge
- IT skills: MS Office 365 suite, MS Teams, MS Project, MS SharePoint etc
- An awareness of the NHSBSA’s strategy
- Knowledge of Government Functional Standards for Project Management GovS002
- Specialist subject knowledge relevant to project profession
- Evidence of continued professional development
- Significant track record and experience in successful definition and delivery of projects using a recognised delivery framework (e.g., Prince2)
- Demonstrable experience of stakeholder engagement and management
- Demonstrable experience in team leadership and managing virtual teams
- Experience of budgetary management and reporting
- Experience of delivery of digital services
- Experience of project delivery within the NHS
- Specialist experience relevant to programme and project profession (e.g., IPA accredited assurance reviewer)
- Project management practitioner qualification (e.g., Prince2).
- Degree or relevant management qualification, or significant work-based experience in a middle management role
- Project Delivery specialism, e.g. Risk Management (e.g. MoR), Agile PM, Change Management (e.g., Prosci Change Management Practitioner)
- Relevant post-graduate qualification
- Further education/Training Course certification(s) in change management discipline
Documents to download
Further details / informal visits contact
- Andy Strickland
- Job title
- Portfolio Delivery Lead
- Email address
- Telephone number