Work for us
SIAM IT Service Manager
NHS AfC: Band 6
- NHS AfC: Band 6
- Full time
- Home or remote working
- Stella House
- Newcastle upon Tyne
- £32,306 - £39,027 per annum
- 25/05/2022 23:59
Are you looking for an opportunity to play an integral role in the support of IT services to the NHSBSA and our customers? We have a permanent opportunity for an IT Service Manager to support the delivery of robust and resilient service management.
If you have experience in asset management and configuration management and are keen to drive value from accurate and up to date data then this could be the role for you!
You will be based out of either Newcastle or Fleetwood, with occasional travel between the two locations.
What do we offer?
- 27 days leave (increasing with length of service) plus 8 bank holidays
- Flexible working (we are happy to discuss options such as compressed hours)
- Flexi time
- Hybrid working model (we are currently working largely remotely)
- Career development
- Active wellbeing and inclusion networks
- Excellent pension
- NHS Car lease scheme
- Access to a wide range of benefits and high street discounts!
Main duties of the job
Managing IT services within ITIL v4 Service Value Chain activities with a primary focus on ‘deliver and support’ focussing your attention on user engagement.
Requiring dedicated focus on ITIL v4 practices ensuring services are delivered and supported in accordance with stakeholder needs, specifically, maximising the number of successful service and product changes and ensuring robust toolsets are in place to deliver operational metrics to inform service level management outcomes.
Engaging with stakeholders, you will facilitate and foster collaborative approaches, prioritise requirements and optimise resource utilisation, demonstrating a creative and innovative approach and advising on several standards, methods, tools and applications, so that the optimum approaches, standards and solutions are delivered to meet organisational objectives.
Oversee the continuous development, transition and day to day operation of associated ITIL service management processes and governance frameworks, engaging with business colleagues, internal/external suppliers and key stakeholders as necessary.
Working to guiding principles of the ITSM Operating Model and IT Service Lifecycle in line with ITIL v4, re-shaping processes in line with user experience, working with internal and external stakeholders to provide a strong value focused direction.
Working for our organisation
At the NHS Business Services Authority we deliver a range of essential national services to NHS organisations and contractors, patients and the public.
You may already be using some of our services. Do you have a prescription pre-payment certificate? Perhaps you found this vacancy through NHS Jobs? We’re behind these, and much more.
Being one of the UK’s Best Big Companies to work for, our values are to be Collaborative, Adventurous, Reliable and Energetic. We CARE about what we do and support each other in achieving our objectives.
Our people are the heart of our organisation. We strive to ensure they feel trusted, valued and empowered. We’re passionate about nurturing and developing people. When you join us, we want you to grow, and we offer many opportunities for you to do that.
We welcome applications from people of all backgrounds. With wellbeing and inclusion central to our ethos, our BAME, Disability and Neurodiversity, LGBTQ+, Armed Forces and Women’s networks help our colleagues to be their authentic selves at work.
At the NHSBSA we value and respect the diversity of our colleagues and are committed to being a flexible employer. We are proud to offer flexible working opportunities. Whether you’re interested in hybrid working, working from home, flexible hours or job sharing, apply today and we can discuss available options with you at the interview stage.
We are the NHS delivering for the NHS.
Visit www.nhsbsa.nhs.uk/work-with-us and start your career with us.
Detailed job description and main responsibilities
Working in the Technology SIAM Team, you will demonstrate a range of Service Management skills, managing and supporting the Head of Technology SIAM to facilitate a more holistic approach to service management delivery in accordance with ITIL V4 practices within the service value chain; setting the organisation's policy and ensuring process adherence for service management and governance. The Technology team is helping to modernise and transform the business, putting the user at the heart of everything we do; including the delivery of business solutions using agile methods.
As an active member of the Technology SIAM Team you will manage IT services operating within ITIL v4 Service Value Chain activities with a primary focus on ‘deliver and support’ focussing your attention on user engagement. Working under direction and within a clear framework of accountability, you will exercise some personal responsibility and autonomy to plan the teams’ workloads in order to meet objectives and delivery timeframes.
With a dedicated focus on ITIL v4 practices to ensure services are delivered and supported in accordance with stakeholder needs, specifically, maximising the number of successful service and product changes and ensuring robust toolset requirements are in place to deliver operational metrics to inform service level management outcomes
Through your excellent communication skills, you will participate in both internal and external activities in line with your specialism to keep your skills up to date.
In this role, you are accountable for:
1. Oversee the continuous development, transition and day to day operation of associated ITIL service management processes and governance frameworks, engaging with business colleagues, internal/external suppliers and key stakeholders as necessary.
2. Work within the guiding principles of the ITSM Operating Model and IT Service Lifecycle in line with ITIL v4, re-shaping processes in line with user experience, working with internal and external stakeholders to provide a strong value focused direction.
3. Enabling delivery of IT changes by ensuring risks are properly assessed, impacts known, and approvals sought in order to effectively facilitate changes through the change management practice.
4. Understanding stakeholder needs to inform robust tooling requirements so that delivery of a service can be properly assessed, monitored and managed with end-to-end visibility of service performance.
5. Oversee the implementation of standards and policies, pro-actively identifying and proposing improvements or enhancements to meet changing needs.
6. Proactively engaging in conversations to support the on-going development and maintenance of your own skills and knowledge, including attending relevant Communities of Practice.
7. Working under general direction; planning your own work and that of your team to achieve agreed objectives, seeking information when unclear, and escalating as appropriate, any issues or conflicting priorities which may impact deadlines.
8. Actively participating and contributing to quality assurance reviews of your work through a variety of approaches such as peer review, learning logs, and engaging in appropriate communities.
9. Keeping abreast of new and emerging methodologies and standards to support innovative and creative delivery of business objectives.
10. A clear ability to rationalise complex technical information, you will transform this information, making it understandable for others to digest and work with.
11. Facilitate and foster collaborative approaches, prioritise requirements and optimise resource utilisation, demonstrating a creative and innovative approach and advising on a number of standards, methods, tools and applications, so that the optimum approaches, standards and solutions are delivered to meet organisational objectives.
12. in depth knowledge of the following ITIL practices: Incident, Service Request, Change, Service Level Management and Continual Service Improvement (CSI).
13. Line management of staff within multi-disciplinary teams operating within the NHSBSA disciplinary, absence and work performance policies.
14. Enabling the performance of others, including objectives setting fully aligned to departmental and organisational objectives and goals, and the development and motivation of staff to achieve them.
15. Conducting meaningful appraisals and 1-1s, develop and monitor training and personal development plans, setting performance targets and monitoring progress against agreed quality and performance criteria.
16. Advises individuals on career paths and encourages pro-active development of skills and capabilities.
17. Identify and support opportunities for the team to further develop their skills to meet the changing needs of the business.
18. Undertake and support relevant recruitment and selection in line with organisational processes.
19. Co-ordinates and allocates work to other team members in line with agreed delivery of services.
20. Contribute to and prepare proposals for change including producing necessary estimates, mandates and business cases within the technology department.
21. Effectively engage and collaborate across multiple disciplines to ensure consistent approaches, methods, standards, and patterns are holistically applied.
22. Identify opportunities, engaging and fostering relationships and partnership working within the organisation, and with third parties, and cross government organisations to identify, influence and deliver value to the organisation.
23. Maintaining an awareness of agreed service levels, KPI's and standards within team, reviewing own performance and adapt own approach to maximise the delivery to support and meet agreed standards.
24. Monitoring and reporting on a number of areas including agreed service levels, KPI's and standards within team, generating reports to agreed frequency, methods and processes.
25. Delivering continuous improvements to enhance own and business areas; co-ordinating and delivery of work across multiple strands such as continuous improvement, project related work, and operational tasks, escalating issues at appropriate times.
26. Preparing and executing plans to enable the delivery and management of projects and programmes undertaken by the team. Providing operational direction in the preparation of plans to deliver systems and service across the organisation.
27. Proactively identify challenges that may affect delivery, providing mitigating actions and a decisive response.
- • Degree calibre with relevant in-depth knowledge of the subject matter • ITIL v4 Foundation (or prepared to work towards)
- • Certification in Agile Service Management • Working towards ITiL V4 Managing Professional accreditation
- Significant knowledge and skills in the following area: • ITIL based service management • Experience of working within and across ITiL v3 framework and service value chain, including but not limited to:- o Incident Management (including Major Incident Management) o Problem Management o Knowledge Management o Service Request Management o Service Level Management o Change Management o Data, Asset & Configuration Management o Continual Service Improvement (CSI).
- Significant knowledge and skills in the following area• Experience of service management delivery within a recognised IT Service Management operating model • Leading and managing staff to deliver organisational goals and objectives.
- Significant knowledge and skills in the following area• Engaging and building relationships with a range of internal stakeholders and suppliers, working collaboratively, to support delivery of business outcomes. • Experience with implementing, developing and supporting the improvement of Service Management toolsets.
- Significant knowledge and skills in the following area• Delivery of internal Service Management Reports. • Multi-tasking, working across multiple projects, analysing opportunities, defining successful approaches, and proactively solve problems.
- • Working under the ITIL V4 framework in particular as part of the Service Operation stage of the lifecycle. • Exposure to ISO27000
- • Experience of all Technology management disciplines • Experience of working with customers and specialist teams to interpret requirements and provision resources to facilitate customer outcomes
- • Working with technology experts to understand technical concepts and apply them to enable value for customers • Experience of using project implementation methodologies
- • The processes of the ITiL v3 framework • A general and broad knowledge of current issues and advances across all service management disciplines.
- • Knowledge of the ITIL V4 framework • A detailed knowledge of SIAM principles, aims and their application.
Documents to download
Further details / informal visits contact
- Clare Jones
- Job title
- SIAM IT Service Manager
- Email address
- Additional information
Alan Jobling -SIAM IT Service Manager